+61 2 8970 8347 / Toll Free- 1300 216 228

+977-1-4545597 / 4545598

Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) Visa

Subclass 491

Skilled Work Regional Visa (Provisional) (Subclass 491)

The subclass 491 visa entitles visa holders, together with their families, to live, work and study in designated regional areas of Australia and provides you access to Medicare (our national healthcare scheme). It also provides a multiple re-entry facility to travel in and out of Australia as often as you like within the visa validity period.

491 Visa Requirements for Applicants

Applicants for this visa must be invited to apply for the visa.  They may be nominated by a State or Territory government agency or sponsored by an eligible family member who resides in a designated regional area.
The visa is a points-tested visa, and applicants must be under 45 years of age at the time of receiving an invitation from the Department of Home Affairs.

Basic Eligibility

You must:

⦁ be nominated to apply by a state or territory government agency, or an eligible relative must sponsor you.
⦁ have an occupation on a relevant skilled occupation list
⦁ have a suitable skills assessment for the occupation.
⦁ be invited to apply.
⦁ satisfy the points test.

Subclass 491 Permits you to

⦁ stay in Australia for 5 years from the date we grant you the visa
⦁ live, work and study in a designated region of Australia
⦁ travel to and from Australia as many times as you want, while the visa is valid
⦁ apply for permanent residence, if eligible, through the Permanent Residence (Skilled Regional) visa (subclass 191) – which starts on 16 November 2022. You can’t apply for other permanent visas until you have held your subclass 491 visa for 3 years.

Designated regional area

You and all members of your family unit who are also holders of the visa, will need to live work and study in a designated regional area of Australia. Your nomination must not be withdrawn, or you will not be granted the visa.

Visa Cost

The current Department of Home Affairs application fee starts from AUD 4,640. This will vary depending on the number of dependants included in your application and their age.

Apply from

You can be in or outside Australia, but not in immigration clearance when you apply for the visa and when we decide on your application.
If you apply in Australia, you must hold a substantive visa or a subclass 010 Bridging A visa, a subclass 020 Bridging B visa or a subclass 030 Bridging C visa, otherwise your application will not be valid.

Would you like to speak to our team to discuss your visa options?

Enter your details below and we’ll contact you soon.
Open chat
Can we help you?